Our client lives in our base town of Edenbridge, Kent, UK.
The old boiler, a Potterton Netaheat, was in a fragile state, so we recommended replacing it with a Viessmann 100 Compact.
It’s a Compact because it will fit inside a typical wall cupboard. This boiler is Viessmann’s latest small domestic boiler, called a WB1B, and is very well made amongst the competition.
Featuring a heavyweight unique stainless steel heat exchanger, with an aluminium front burner plate, this is one boiler which looks like you might get 15 years out of it. It is simple, but ruggedly constructed.
We’d fit a lot more of them, but the German Viessmann brand is not that well known in the UK. This model compares very favourably to the Worcester-Bosch Ri and particularly the Vaillant 4 series.
The system was diligently Powerflushed, which any reader of our web site and blog will know is high up in our priorities for a long lasting trouble free installation.
The Viessmann has another point in its favour…..in most cases it does not need a ‘pump overrun’ connected. Pump overrun is where, on modern boilers with light weight heat exchangers, the boiler cannot just ‘stop’, it needs to keep water circulating for up to 5 minutes after each ‘on’ period, to help it cool down in a controlled and gradual manner.
Whilst some would argue that pump overrun wastes stored heat (it does), it commonly creates difficulties in installation because there are insufficient cable cores between the boiler and the airing cupboard. Rather than lift floors, etc fit a Viessmann Compact. Of course, your installer has to know such a boiler is available, and be prepared to fit a different German boiler. This rules out British Gas in both cases!
Anyway, back to the installation. 5 Years warranty on the boiler, parts and labour, plus a 10yr heat exchanger warranty, all neatly fitted in the original kitchen wall unit, job done.
- ACV cylinders
- ACV Heatmaster fast flow combination boiler
- ATAG boilers
- Case Studies
- Church heating
- Combination boiler installations
- Combined Heat & Power (CHP)
- Condensing flues in existing chimneys
- General News
- Grant oil boilers
- Heat Pumps
- Heat Stores
- Heritage Cookers
- Hometronic energy management
- Honeywell EvoHome
- Johnson & Starley warm air
- Kidd Boilers
- Large domestic heating
- Lennox condensing warm air units
- listed building
- LPG installations
- Mitsubishi Ecodan heat pumps
- MultiCalor warm air
- Navien Oil
- Oil boiler installations
- Pressurised hot water system installations
- Rinnai water heaters
- Rogues gallery
- School (iron) radiators
- Solar PV generation
- Standard (heat only) boiler installations
- Things we come across (not our work)
- underfloor heating
- Vaillant combination boiler
- Vaillant System boiler (and Hometronic)
- Vaillant system boilers
- Viessmann boilers
- Warm air heating
- Water boosting (accumulators)
- Water Boosting installations
- Weather Compensation
- Worcester Bosch boilers
- New warm air unit replaces Johnson & Starley Economaire
- Game changing oil boiler installation in Leatherhead, Surrey, 10 year warranty.
- Johnson & Starley warm air replaced by Worcester Bosch boiler and EasyControl
- Underwater listed building, novel oil flue system
- ATAG Opentherm Evohome Sevenoaks
- Barn conversion near Tonbridge, Kent
- Move boiler to cellar and convert to unvented hot water
- Grade II listed building condensing boiler using chimney
- Improving water supply and Acorn heating pipework issues
- Remove Ideal iStor boiler and fit super new Viessmann and Fabdec system
- Quick Combi installation
- Fabdec unvented cylinder, cows, – and mother in laws – in Minehead
- 1960s Potterton Diplomat full of soot
- Viessmann light commercial in Edenbridge
- New model ATAG combi, runaway installer and Evohome zoning using OpenTherm