OK. so we’ve covered a Worcester -Bosch gas boiler using an existing chimney, so here’s an oil boiler version. Sticking with Worcester-Bosch, this one is a Camray Greenstar 18/25 Utility model.
We’re in a remote area south of Dorking, Surrey, accessed via a long farm track.
The property had a Trianco oiler, made around 16 years ago, with a leaking heat exchanger. This is the end of the road for an oil boiler, because the heat exchanger is the whole metal frame of the boiler.
Trianco have always been a budget boiler manufacturer, and have, as a company, seemingly lurched from one collapse to another, most recently last year, when their remnants were bought by an Essex metalworking company. The other cheapy manufacturer, Perrymatics, failed many years ago. But there are still lots of these products out there, because they sold so well.
The Trianco was connected to an old metal flue liner, incompatible with modern high efficiency condensing boilers. For some perverse reason, the boiler had been mounted in an external boiler house sideways, rendering maintenance very difficult and compromising minimum manufacturer clearances. This lack of access probably resulted in the boiler not being cleaned internally and the premature failure of the heat exchanger.
From measurements, we found that we could site the new Worcester -Bosch Camray unit facing forwards, enabling easy maintenance and compliance with manufacturer stipulations.
The Worcester-Bosch Flexiflue employed is near identical to the one used in the gas boilers, except that it is used for exhaust gas only – it does not provide an air inlet for the burner, this has to be arranged in the boiler room.
We used our preferred means of access to the chimney in the form of a 7.5ton elevating platform truck. This is quicker than scaffolding and less likely to cause damage to the surrounding roof areas.
The new boiler was complemented by revised heating controls, including a Honeywell CM907 programmable room thermostat with Optimisation.